09 November 2008

Do better.

Just a weeeee bit of a vent.

The lodging folks down at Fort X gave Swiss only 2 days in the post's temporary lodging. He was supposed to have 10. Two! They only gave him TWO! So now he has to check out before he even in-processes(no vacancies to be sure...) and since tomorrow is a holiday the Housing Office isn't open to help find a solution. Which means finding last-minute accommodations in unfamiliar territory. Lovely. Oh yeah, and did I mention that he can't in-process until Wednesday? (But mind you he just HAD to be down there by Monday.) Brilliant. Ooh! I almost forgot... his commanding officer isn't around or even remotely available. And won't be until next week. So we won't even know what is assignment is until approximately Lord-knows-when.

I don't know how normative all of this is. I just expected a bit better I guess. And it is doubly frustrating because I am 1,000+ miles away and can do precisely SQUAT about it. Not even bake cookies... cookies make everything better.

Anyway, feel free to tell me to get over it... tell me this is normal... or, even better, tell me your stories! Either way I am sure it will make me feel better!

This concludes my vent. Thank you for listening.
UPDATE: Thankfully Swiss' temporary housing has been extended and the Housing Office IS open today. So we will see what there is available and hopefully get one more thing checked off the list. Fingers crossed! (PS- Did you know that even though I am in DEERS and have my military ID the Housing Office still want to see the official marriage license? Madness I tell you! Madness!!!!)

1 comment:

Linda said...

This is truly common for the U.S. Army. The "hurry up and wait" effect. The "do what we say, not what we do" theorem. what EVER.

I can totally sympathize with you and Swiss. And to be sure, it won't change any time soon.

My husband has dedicated his last 3 1/2 years to the division we're with...and for the last 2 months, he's been treated as no better than a Jr. NCO who knows nothing about his job. Uh...3 1/2 years IN COMMAND of his unit. He has more command time under his belt than most Battalion or Brigade commanders will EVER have, yet he's treated like he doesn't know how to manage his job.

But, that's the Army for you. They change personnel more often than kids change friends, and with each change, a new style of leadership, control, etc.

RE: your housing question...go for the furnished...but use whatever you can that is yours to help. I'd buy a mattress cover (not just a pad, but a full zippered protector, and cover the mattress of the bed...that way, whatever MIGHT be there will be enclosed INSIDE the bag (they aren't crinkly, so you don't feel like you're sleeping on a rubber pad, lol)