12 October 2009

Semi-single digit midget.

Woah. We are at the week-ish mark. Obviously I won't give out the specific dates that Swiss is coming home... partially due to OpSec and partially due to the fact that I, myself, don't actually know the specific dates. Ha! Isn't that just so military? Anywhoodles...

I am starting to get giddy. It is nice to be giddy for a change. I think it suits me much better than neurotic, worried, angsty or exasperated. Heck, I'm even listening to my upbeat music on my iPod. Now that is a sure sign that my mood has turned.... my iPod is nothing if not my modern-day mood ring. Anyway, I digress. I'm sure that this being the last week of work for me has something to do with it. I'm sure that the prospect of curling up in bed with my husband instead of my dog (sorry Fletch! you've been a superb substitute!) has something to do with it. I'm sure that not being cut off in the middle of conversations due to weak connections has something to do with it. I'm also sure that being reassured that I am, in fact, married to that guy in all the wedding pictures and not my cell phone has something to do with it.

The nerves are passing... I'm becoming sure that whatever comes our way, we will talk about it, we will be fine, and we will move on. I'm sure that the chemistry is still there. I'm sure that our love is as strong as ever. I'm sure that R&R is going to be wonderful simply because we are together. And that, my friends, is all that matters. So now, my only nerves are about having to do a very emotional thing in a very public place. Because seriously, I don't want everyone at the gate oogling us. Me no likey oogling. I don't want to be a spectacle. I don't want to be a hot, snotty, sobbing mess for Swiss and I certainly don't want to be all of those things for an audience either! I'd prefer if we could do our reuniting (and it feels so goooooood) in private, but I'm not willing to sacrifice any extra minutes with him in order to maintain my dignity. So yeah, I choose my husband over my dignity. I'm thinking that's an okay trade off.

So now I want to hear about your reuniting (and it feels so goooooood) stories. How awkward is it to kiss/make out with your husband for the first time in a lot of months in front of a room full of strangers with nothing better to watch/do? How weird is it to be the pre-flight entertainment? And what ridiculous stories do you all have? Also, do you have that song stuck in your head now? I hope so, because I do.

10 comments:

Meghan said...

I don't have a reuniting story yet...I'll have my first one next week also :)!! YAY!!
But, talking about airport spectacles...My man's whole unit (small unit, but still) left from the airport and all us family members got to go to the actual gate and wait with them. Needless to say, when the moment of departure came everyone was bawling their eyes out. I'm sure that was quite the oogling event for everyone else in that terminal. Those uniforms draw lots of attention even on normal days. I'm sure you can imagine what this was like. But, maybe our pain on display was a good thing. At least a few Americans got a glimpse of what being in the military is like these days.
Anyway, I hope we get some good reuniting stories, cause I wanna hear them too. I plan on jumping on my man and I don't care who is looking!
Good luck with the last week of work!!

Sunny said...

picked up the boyfriend at the airport this morning, flight got in at 8:45am. I got all dressed up and damn did I look good. Only problem, at that hour and in that place I think I looked like a high class hooker. Some international businessman was totally eyeing me, I just shook my head. Reunion was amazing. Making dinner now and seriously could not be happier. Enjoy yours!

Anonymous said...

The small airport that Jerad flew into had no problem giving me a gate pass (without any ID or any reasoning for wanting one), so I was able to go right up to the gate to greet him. I stood by the window and paced back and forth for 30 minutes before I saw his plane pull up. I took pictures of the plane with my phone and almost hyperventilated knowing that he was walking up the ramp. He was the FIRST soldier to come out in ACUs, and I ran into his arms almost knocking him (and all the guys behind him) over! It was wonderful! The people around us clapped, and I was definitely a hot, crying mess! It was THE BEST feeling I've ever felt in my life so far. You will definitely never forget it! I'm so excited you get to see him soon! My sweetie is supposed to be home for good in X weeks, and I can't wait. Have fun with your hubby! I know you will :)

Post Tenebras Lux said...

Both of my R&Rs, the timing hasn't worked out, and I've picked him up on the sidewalk outside the airport. So I've missed out on the whole "run into each others' arms" thing, which I was a little bummed out by. But we're not big make-out-in-public people, so it was just a quick kiss and put his bags in the car, and get out of there. It's amazing how electric the smallest touch is while you're waiting for the day to end so you can be alone together. . . .

liberal army wife said...

this R&R - he didn't go to the USO where we were supposed to meet, so he sat in the hotel for 4 hours, I crashed at the USO... The one before - we met at the gate but the whole running into each other's arms... no.. quick kiss, get bags... and he fell asleep in the car on the way home. The first few hours are almost awkward - first date-ish wierd.

LAW

silver star said...

When I saw Vx right before graduating Basic, I had never seen him in glasses before that, so I didn't recognize him at first. His mom had to point out to me which baldy w/glasses he was! We got to spend quite a bit of time together after that, and I was so freaked out kissing this guy that I knew was my then-fiance, but he didn't look like him.

Amy said...

omg he smelled SO HORRIBLE i have no idea how the poor people on his plane survived. hahahaha. we were in NYC, where it's sort of impossible to be a spectacle., so no one really noticed us or cared. And I'm not a big cryer, so that was easy for me, I was just giggling.

I WAS, however, wearing a shirt that says Mrs. Leggitt for R&R, which I thought was cute. He didn't notice. Of course. =)

Smiles said...

We were both flying in to Philly from other parts of the country and had made plans to meet at the USO. My flights were scheduled to arrive hours before his. Because he was in uniform traveling solo the airline kept bumping him up to earlier flights so he ended up beating me there. I got a text as we were taxiing to the gate. I got off my flight and went straight to the ladies room to primp as much as a cross country flight and 5 minutes notice allows. I got to the USO and he wasn't there. They had walked him through security to meet me at the gate but somehow I had gotten in to the bathroom before they found me and out the other side after he passed by. Eventually they came back to the USO and we were reunited but it was not like I had planned or imagined!

Unknown said...

omigosh, this is getting me so excited for my hubs' return ... still just over a month away.

i'll have the buffer of a baby -- so i don't imagine we'll get too steamy as he probably can't wait to cuddle the little one.

right? i don't know. this is my first one of these.

EngineerChica said...

I haven't had one, yet, but I routinely see families waiting outside security with signs and stuff. I see the families and I try to walk by as fast as I can. Why? Because they make me cry! I "accidentally" saw my row-mate (with whom I had a discussion about his military experience/my impending one) reunite with his wife and toddler and literally had tears streaming down my face. I hate to think what those people might think if they actually paid attention to my quick pace and probably weird-looking face (because I'm trying not to cry) past them, but honestly, all I can think about it how hard their absence was and how much relief and joy the family feels. It makes me think of one day experiencing this, and of course, that makes it even harder to hold back the tears.

On that note, I absolutely love reunion photos (Operation Love: Reunited) and they routinely make me cry, but I can't help looking at them! Everyone's reaction is different even though they all have this starved-for-love look. EngineerGuy rolls his eyes when he sees tears coming down my cheeks, but seriously, I'm not some big tough guy- they're so heartwarming!

I hope your reunion/reintegration goes smoothly!