08 April 2009

Exactly!!!

So I am in the middle of reading "I Love a Man in Uniform" by Lily Burana (which is excellent and super engaging BTW) and I just came across a nugget of wisdom and insight that had me instantly running over to my computer to post about it. Here it is:
"The weirdest thing about West Point? No one discussed the war. ... In my "civilian" friendships, your opinion is like your fingerprint, a critical marker of your identity. We talked about the war all the time, pro or con. It was a political football tossed back and forth in constant conversational play. But at West Point, I never conversed about the political or moral ramifications of the war. ... The depth of candor surrounding the domestic ramifications of the current conflict was astonishing. But what we thought of the war itself? It never came up. Not even once." -Lily Burana

YES! That is the problem! That is why we have LeftFace! That is why we are trying to open up the dialogue about what it means to be a military spouse and how to reconcile personal opinions (and politics) with our husband's careers and the culture of the military.

It isn't about bashing one view or extolling the virtues of any given political party. It is about SHARING. It is about the exchange of thoughts and ideas. It is about openly and honestly talking about the very issues that our loved ones must enact. We SHOULD be talking about this war. We MUST be questioning policies. We NEED to engage each other about these topics! Why? Because every last bit of these policies directly effect us, the 1%. I refuse to just take what someone (especially our government, regardless of who is running it) tells me at face value. I was taught to think outside the box, to analyze the situations, problems and resolutions in front of me. I was molded into a critical thinker, not only by my parents, but by my educational institutions and my life experiences. None of that changed when I became an Army wife.

Just because we are military, doesn't negate our ability (and right) to be critical, challenging and open minded. It doesn't renege our right to question and debate the policies, politicians and government who we are inextricably tied to. And engaging in these thoughtful, open, honest and critical debates does NOT make me unpatriotic, it does not make me a bad military spouse and it most certainly does not lessen my pride in our armed forces, our country or my husband. Thankyouverymuch.

12 comments:

Post Tenebras Lux said...

I hear that. And then there are the times I just want a break from having to think about it so much. . . .

Anchored Away said...

If this were one of those feel-good movies of the year, I'd be the one in the back of the audience doing the slow clap.

In other words: This! Yes. Absolutely.

Anonymous said...

Love you! Perfectly said.
And the image of AA doing the slow clap...LMAO.

liberal army wife said...

slow clap here! yes yes yes.

LAW

Anonymous said...

OH my god Tucker, great post! Seriously I agree 100%.

Man. You write some great stuff...

Cortney @ Box & Bay said...

Thanks for the claps (that didn't sound right) and the love... I'm glad y'all like what I wrote and I really believe every word of this. I promise to post it over at LF too!

I'm really quite proud to be in the 'trenches' with ladies like you! You all make me proud to be a MilSpouse!

slightly salty said...

Hear hear! Excellent post and I completely agree.

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

Add me to the slow clappers! Yes!

Butterfly Wife said...

Tucker, you keep making me think! When I was surrounded by civilians, it seemed like the war, right or wrong, was discussed frequently. Now that I am surrounded by the military, I rarely hear this discussion.

Jennifer said...

Amen, Sister!
Well said.

The Army Wife said...

just wanted to say I like the new header script! Very cool! And thanks for updating my link on your sidebar! Much appreciate :)

Anonymous said...

I am so relieved seeing all that nice ladies here and on Leftface...I always thought I am alone in this ( army-) world. Thanks!!