28 July 2009

Serendipity or stupid coincidence?

So any of you who have been reading this blog for a while now know that I had no intentions of working after we PCS to Fort X (at least until Swiss retires, then back to work!). Most of this decision was based on the following facts: 1) My career isn't common, so jobs are hard to come by, 2) I'm an Army spouse who will only be in town for about a year, who would hire me? (and I'd hate to contribute to any negative MilSpouse connotations for employers), and 3) I'm not at all sure I want to continue with this job course when Swiss retires and we move someplace new and fabulous. So yeah, that was settled. No work for me, just walks with the dog, cooking great meals and loads of time to paint or practice my photography skillz.

Then I stumbled across something strange today: An opening at Fort X's Medical Center for exactly what I do. And the pay is gooood.

So what is a gal to do? I mean, this feels like a bit of a coup, I have 5+ years of experience (which legally speaking is a big deal for my career) and spousal preference, it is a job I should easily (knock on wood) land. It is an employer that certainly understands the Army lifestyle and won't hold it against me if I have to leave in a year. And it is super close to home. I'd be able to come home every day for lunch with Swiss. I'd be able to contribute a sizable sum of money to our savings. Gaw, just a year of working and saving it all would be at least a 20% deposit on a sweet ass house with land. Or three new cars. Or two new cars and a fat trip to Europe. Do you see where I am going here?

I hadn't planned on working. But this feels like a giant sign from the Big Man upstairs saying, not so gently, "TAKE THIS JOB!" Am I going to miss all the planned free time? Absolutely. But will that extra sum of money in the bank make life post-Army all that much easier? Definitely. So I guess that's the verdict then. ...off to spend some quality time with the applications portion of USA Jobs!

UPDATE: Application successfully sent. And the USA Jobs/Army resume builder wasn't too cumbersome to use (thank you copy & paste!). I also felt like, for the first time, being a military spouse might actually get me something good other than a discount at a hotel. ha! Wish me luck folks! :)

10 comments:

Bree said...

Wow! You gotta love those kicks in the tush the Big Man gives ya every now & then LOL! Good Luck! :o)

Brittany said...

DO IT! :)

Bette said...

Fingers crossed for you!

(And I know what you mean -- every time I think about chucking my job, I realize how much closer it's getting us to the retirement we're aiming for; that fixes my attitude in a hurry.)

Carissa said...

Wow, did that just fall in your lap or what?!? It definitely sounds like it was meant to be, good luck!

Jennifer said...

You can do anything for a year. Heck, you'll have survived a deployment by then. Fingers crossed for you!

kimba said...

I'm glad you did this. Believe me, not working ain't all that. If I had a job come my way that was perfect AND well-paying, I'd be on it. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck lady! I hope you can get it. If you do... when would they want to you start? Would you be leaving before Swiss?

Money in the bank for the future is always good. :-)

Cortney @ Box & Bay said...

Thanks All for the good luck wishes and support! :) You gals are the BEST!

As for the details, I have no idea when they would want me to start. I'd have to ask. I would at least like to wait until after R&R in October. Hopefully they would be able to move my housing application up too. I'll keep y'all posted.

Only crappy part? I have to break the news to my boss a few months early. Ah well, it shouldn't be too big of a surprise...

Tsoniki Crazy Bull said...

Awesome opportunity! I agree w/ the others, do it (and I see you already did LOL).

Fingers crossed!!

Kanani said...

Yup, take it if it comes through! If you don't work, then I know fer sure you're going to end up with another dog.