26 July 2009

Sort of like dating.

So lately it has started to feel like Swiss and I are dating again. No, obviously we are not going on dates. But you see, our entire dating relationship was done long distance. Really, the whole thing. We had nearly every weekend together, and the assorted weeks off here and there, but we didn't live in the same town until 2 weeks before we were married. And yes, there is a point to this!

See, when we were dating, we relied on a lot of phone calls to get through the weeks, to maintain the normal progression of our relationship and, well, to get our fix of each other. We always talked about anything and everything, hour long conversations about how I paint or how you would go about painting something, politics, evolution, being silly, or intent discussions about where we would live, how our house would be, trips we planned to take. It was wonderful and made all of our time apart less unbearable. Funny, that is exactly what we have been doing for the past twenty some odd weeks.

Lately our conversations have been flying by just like old times, the content varied and engaging, the smiles and laughs plentiful. It is good and we are good. But man, it makes me miss the real life version. You know, the one where we are sitting on the sofa with a glass of wine or lounging outside by the fire pit with spiked cocoa or walking around the neighborhood having these conversations in person (dude, we totally sound like lushes!). It is odd feeling like you are back to the dating phase with the man you married. I feel like we are stuck back where we were a year ago... like we haven't made any forward progress. Obviously I know this isn't the case, but still. It feels weird.

I suppose you can chalk all of this up to just being ready to be DONE with this deployment. I mean, things are going fine, I am doing fine, Swiss is doing fine. But yeah, I'm ready for him to come home. He's the most awesomest person I've ever met and dammit, I miss him! Well, only twentysomething more weeks to go...

4 comments:

kimba said...

When J was deployed, I used to joke that I had an imaginary husband who lived in my computer. Hang in there. He'll be real again soon :)

Ash said...

I feel you on the dating thing (both now and in your relationship)-- even R&R was like a honeymoon (like I'd know, cause we didn't get one!). it's fun in a sense, though I have to say when we DO fight, it's so much harder! but we only have 20ish weeks til the 1yr mark, and that's the projected HC date for us as well!

Slightly Salty said...

Deployments have a way of making you feel like your relationship takes periodic steps back to the dating phase ... which is a good thing in my opinion. Keeps things fresh and schmoopyish.

Smiles said...

I own a house near the city and my job. My husband has an apartment near his base, about 100 miles away. Before he deployed we only lived together on weekends. It does feel like we're still dating sometimes. It made me laugh though to hear his Mom describe it the same way when we attended a family reunion over 4th of July. She was trying to explain it to their relatives and said "sometimes I forget they got married. It's like they're still dating."